Dream the impossible dream. Dream big dreams! But what if your dream hits a hurdle - quite literally? What do you do then? How do you respond? How do you pick yourself up and make it to the Finish Line?
What's In Store For You
Our guest today is a four-time All-American graduate of the University of Arkansas, a two-time Paralympian, as well as a Paralympic Games silver medalist. He is also a Persian Gulf War veteran, TEDx motivational speaker. He just recently launched a book called "10 Power Stories to Impact Any Leader: Journal Your Way to Leadership Success".
After a hurdling accident cut short his Olympic gold dreams, he still found success and made his story happen in a different way. Let's listen to John Register and how he went through his journey turning a major tragedy into success.
- [05:18] What was John Register's dream when he was young? Was being in the Olympics part of it?
- [07:06] How is art and music a big part of John's life?
- [10:04] Why did John join the military which brought him to the Gulf War?
- [12:51] How does the military support Olympic aspirees?
- [15:28] John takes us through the moments leading up to the biggest challenge he faced on May 17th, 1994
- [20:25] John walks us through the aftermath of the accident.
- [23:10] What helped John make the decision to have his leg amputated?
- [25:10] What was John's long, arduous journey through recovery and his Olympic dreams?
- [28:28] With John's accident and his Olympic dreams gone (for now), how did John support his family financially?
- [31:20] How did John's "new normal" transition from 27 years ago helped him go through the COVID pandemic?
- Kayla O'Brien Media - get a foolproof game plan for your video content and get the highest production value for it!
- Support the show, buy Robert a coffee!
- 10 Power Stories to Impact Any Leader: Journal Your Way to Leadership Success by John Register
- John Register's website
- Amputate Fear FB group